Monday, November 23, 2009

Match, DURC open, Rathdrum, 22-11-09

I take back what I said - this was not going to be a good day. I woke up sneezing all morning and very cold. Getting set up was awful, the place was freezing, as usual. Having to get up at 7 to gready and into the range didn't help, but it could have been worse.

What annoys me most about my 576 overall, aside from the fact that my score is dropping, is that it was good shooting. It felt alright, everything was centered, recoil was nice, but it kept throwing 9s. And 9.9s in particular... Three in one string at one stage!

But anyway, enough of the ranting, it's not my style ;) Aisling was kind enough to take several pics of me in position later in the match, when things were getting very hairy so I can compare my position to the one I had in Fermoy. Looking below you can see that my left leg is very straight, compared to the kicked out one from Fermoy on it's right.

I did some experimentation when I got home last night on comparing the two leg positions and found some interesting results; kicking my leg out gives me a nice higher upper body position, which my set up is tweaked for, and throws the weight more evenly across my body, including onto my right arm, thereby leaving my left less painful. Also, while it lowers my left hand a little, it rotates my left elbow onto the comfy part, and drops my right shoulder so that the target height can be reached. Who knew!?

So, terrible score, but something valuable learned. Which is what it's all about, right? Journey being the goal and all that. There's still the Turkey shoot to go (not really shooting at turkeys, though there are a good few as prizes!), so I can still pull out a good performance. Oh, and remind me to eat a lot more in the days coming up to a match so I have some fuel to keep me warm/get through it. 45 mins of the shivers afterwards is like, soo not cool. Not when you're wearing thermals, certainly.

No comments:

Post a Comment