Monday, November 30, 2009

DURC Airgun Open, 29-11-2009

Yesterday was possibly the best air rifle shooting I have ever done in a match. Ever, like.

When it went right, it went very right, dropping perfectly down onto the target so all I had to do was pull the trigger. Beautiful stuff, which is all falling into place after I really started trying to not push my head, and hence the rifle, out to the side. Straight forward drop, 45 degree cant on the rifle. It's a little awkward and painful as I have quite a way to drop with only 4mm of raiser blocks and a long neck and high cheekbones, but it's getting there.

The score, may as well say it, was 545. Now, that came after two nasty final strings where I was tired, and my feet were falling off me with the cold. Before that, I had 370/400, which is pretty good going; good enough to put me third in the newly invented "Overall" class, which I'm happy with. Dropping in a 90 and 85 after that wasn't so good though.

But let's focus on the good things. While it took me 30 mins to get settled and sight, including dropping my buttplate for those lower targets, I started in well, the shots just falling in, apart from the 8s... I was comfortable and relaxed and things were going well. It wasn't until I passed the hour and fifteen minute mark that I started to tire out somewhat. And I mean really tire out. Things looked darker, I found it hard to focus on the foresight, my legs started to stress out a little... It's something I need to work on basically, which means match practice! From looking at a certain shooters notes from a certain training camp doing 70-80 shot matches seems to be a good way to go with that.

Pics will follow in another post, hopefully with some analysis, if they were taken of me in position. I haven't seen a photo of my standing position in years, so it should be interesting. Laters!

No comments:

Post a Comment