Monday, October 12, 2009

WTSC Airgun open, 11-10-2009

The WTSC open saw my competitive return to air rifle shooting. It was my first match in seven months, with just a small bit of training. With my new custom jacket I was feeling good about it though.

Despite being out on my own there I made the most of getting there and getting set up. Wilkinstown has always been my best range, my P.B. is held there. Today however was not to be a good one. A bit of a shaky start on the sighters and getting into the match I couldn't get comfortable in the position at all; it just didn't feel right and was far more wobbly than I've been used to since donning the new jacket.

So the first 30 shots were a write off, I dropped around 45 points in those, which is horrendous, considering I don't like dropping that in a match full stop.

Taking a quick break I went into the second half determined to pull something out. I stood up straight, and that was it. One of the most basic and silly mistakes that I've been making for years and I made it again. I'd been pushing my hips out in front of me which sinks my lower back and makes everything wobble with lack of support.

Finally, salvation was at hand for the match, as shot 31 of the match will show











It did pick up from there, which was very good. Final three strings came in at a 94, 93 and 89. The 89 is off form, but I was wrecked and couldn't see very well as due to standing up for longer than I had in the previous seven months...

Anyway, poor start to my comeback, but it's all uphill from here on out. In the positive sense, not the cycling sense. If I can keep the points dropped in my last half to 20, plus or minus a flier or two, then the first half should be no problem. 560 here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment