Saturday, October 24, 2009

Training, DRC 18-10-09

So DURC finally sorted some outdoor training sessions and the venue is DRC in Wicklow. It's something that we've been talking about for some time and really needed to get going. Very few of us have ever had the opportunity to train outdoors and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it.

We arrived around half ten or so, after a very amusing conversation at the top of Dave's road about how he wasn't allowed in to grab the targets due to some race thing... The day for once up there was nice and calm with overcast skies so there were no light changes. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, training is probably the better place to experience these things.

I wasn't sure until I was shooting whether or not to do some 3p practice. I decided in the end, once I was banging in the inner tens in prone, to move on and do standing and kneeling. Despite being my first time hefting the .22 into a standing position for the first time in over a year, it went OK. a score of 80 and 81, without sighting in wasn't too bad. The group mostly held the 8 ring, which is awful, but better than I have ever done. My progress in air rifle is standing to me now :)

As for the kneeling I seem to have hit upon an excellent position by chance! After an initial set up few shots the rest were grouped very tightly! The only thing I have to say about it is that the kneeling button hole in the jacket doesn't seem to work... It kept popping open, to the point where I just left it for the last five shots. Interestingly, the group shifted down and to the right when this happened.

All in all, it was a good day, followed up by some clay shooting for kicks in Courtlough. All signs are pointing to me having a good day tomorrow in Fermoy Rifle and Pistol Club in the People's Republic :)

BTW, I was going to put up pictures, but the card isn't that impressive at all. I'll try to get some from tomorrow and put them up instead. Laters!

No comments:

Post a Comment