Saturday, October 10, 2009

Edmonstown Road, 3/10/09

Cycling up Edmonsntown road is the challenge I've set myself. The first time I tried it I had just built up some leg strength from cycling to work so I said I'd give it a lash.

Getting out there in July was tough. I was barely able to make it to the M50, never mind up the hill after it. 20 grueling minutes later after spinning in my bottom gear and panting I lost too much speed and the front wheel just turned. End of climb.

However, the way back down was the most fun I'd ever had on a bike. So much fun in fact that I turned around at the bottom and attempted the climb again, getting almost as far this time. Unfortunately, work kept me away from this one for a while so I settled for Howth and getting to Glencree.

Last weekend I tried again. Equipped with a clean drivechain, well indexed gears and, most importantly, correct tire pressure I gave it another go. This time was different. Getting there was easy, starting off was no problem. Standing every few minutes to keep up the speed to 15 km/hr, which is my target on long (for me) climb I was making good progress. Passing my finish point from the last time I though I was sorted, but alas not. I got dizzy and felt a bit too sick to carry on so I bonked and left it. Again, heading down was so much fun. I don't think I pedaled between there and Rathmines.

So, I still have no managed this climb, but I will be getting a nice new road bike in the near future and some proper pedals so we'll give that a go. Descending in the drops as opposed to the flat of a hybrid is gonna be fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment